Friday, May 10, 2013

I have a question...

I originally wrote this, April 21 and 22, 2013.  I am editing it May 10, so it should make sense to anybody who reads it.

Hopefully this makes sense to you.  If it doesn’t, please contact me.

I’m writing a story set in a fictional, “European,” country.  The government of this country is dictatorial.  According to the news media of this county, there are terrorists bombing cities and towns.  If you don’t believe like society or the government, you and your beliefs tend to get called the name they call the terrorists.  There is an underground Church in this country.

The main character, “Osbert Pickle,” is an itinerant book dealer / book scout. Osbert is searching for someone / something.  He lands in the capital city.  It is the last place he can think to go in order to find what he is looking for.  Another prominent character is, “Freitag,” a Christian, who is coordinating, “help,” for Osbert Pickle. (This is a link telling what a book scout is.  This definition is for a book scout in the modern world of computers.  A book scout in my story is an old-fashioned one of an era prior to modern computers.)

I imagine Freitag and the network of people, who work with him, performing behind the scenes something like the group putting on the big sting in the movie, “The Sting”.  The whole idea is to help Osbert find what he is hunting without being obvious about it.

I originally wrote that Osbert Pickle, learned about Freitag’s bookshop by happenstance.  That’s how he learned about Freitag.

The bookshop isn’t listed in the phone book.  The secret police have no knowledge of Freitag’s shop, even though they not only keep track of people, but also ideas (beliefs), and would know all such places.

I have in mind, that near the end of the book there is a scene where, Osbert would look in Freitag’s window one last time. He doesn’t see any evidence that a bookshop has been there except the outline on the floor in dust where the bookcases were.  I also imagine that at some point the secret police look for Freitag’s where Osbert said it should be, and they find an empty building.

There is much more to this story, than what I have in this post.


Now for the questions...

     Freitag is the coordinator of a network of people, “helps,” who are    
     out to help Osbert find God.

     I want to show Freitag coordinating this group of people.  He tells
     them what to do amongst other things.

     Freitag learns who Osbert is, and that he is a book dealer,
     AND, Freitag figures out that having Osbert find a certain book   
     would help him. (I imagine this bookshop to appear and disappear
     something like the horse betting shop in the movie, “The Sting”.)
    
 1. Wouldn’t Freitag tell his people to set up a book shop?
     (Freitag: “We need to set up a book shop”... Someone else:
     “I have an empty building we can use”...Yet again someone: “We can
     all donate old books from our basements”...) 
     Wouldn’t he also check up to see how this bookshop is coming along?

2.  If Freitag is a minister or Christian leader of some sort, how or
     why would he know anything about books?  I need him to be
     knowledgeable about books.  He wouldn’t have time (along with
     his normal duties) to cram, in a very short time, and become as
     knowledgeable about books, as I need him to be. Could Freitag
     have been a bookseller or some such, “in a former life” (i.e. before
     he started performing Christian duties)?  Could he have been raised
     in a bookshop perhaps?  Or maybe his former job was librarian?  Do
     you have any ideas how to fix this problem? (logistics)

     Now for my main question:
3.  If I show the, “helps,” putting together a bookshop, “out of thin air,”
     then how do I surprise, the secret police and therefore the reader, with the
     empty book shop building?  I want to surprise the reader as I show the police
     guy being surprised as he finds the empty shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment