Tuesday, October 8, 2013

"New" Desk Saga

God is so good! I always seem to get my cake and eat it too.

Have been studying Ergonomics.  I wanted a table for my computer keyboard.  I have one for the computer.  I got a fancy desk chair cheap because my sister works for the company.  It is good to sit in because I am not in pain. It is like orthopedic shoes for my back. For the chair to work at it's best I need the keyboard to be around lap height.  I can raise the chair to work with an existing table.  But I have to put my feet on a wooden box.  I am not at my most comfortable that way.  I want to have my hands and arms lower than they would normally go.  Not just because it is good on my back, but because of the wrist position.  It is difficult to sit and write if I am in pain.  

I have a set of table legs my stepfather got from a "paint your own furniture" place.  We tried to find a table top to go with them.  The table would have been the height we have already.  I have a nice table top that is meant for use with the legs, but it is in use holding the printer.  It is huge anyway.  I know there are keyboard drawer things you can buy to attach to a table to make it a computer desk.  I saw them online.  Without being able to measure it or see how sturdy it is, I didn't want to buy one.  They don't have the measurements in the online descriptions.  I need a specific size.  

I began to think we could not cobble a table together that would work.  We tried all sorts of furniture places to look for a table.  We wanted a cheap one in case we had to saw on it or modify it.  We tried Salvation Army, expensive new furniture stores, and stores with older cheaper stuff in the back.  We even tried a furniture salvage kind of place.  Everybody we asked, thought we were nuts.  A table that sits beside a sofa might have worked except they weren't long enough for a full sized keyboard + room for the mouse. They didn't have room for my legs.  I asked my brother in Christ computer geek, where we could see a keyboard drawer in the flesh.  He said, to go to Ikea.  We saw one that would work.  It is slightly flimsy, but most Ikea seems to be that way.  We took measurements of the item.  

We looked at the legs again. I realized that the Ikea thing would work with the legs.  It depends upon the table top we use. I looked for a piece of wood to use on top.  We have part of a headboard, that was too long and too narrow the other way.  I went and looked at the rafters in the garage.  I saw some shelving and doors.  Douglas had taken apart an old kitchen cupboard for his grandmother in the mid 1990's.  I thought the parts would come in handy someday.  Some day is here.  We measured one of the doors.  In the decorating magazines they take old doors and use them for table tops. Our door is a good size. I am going to scrub this some, and remove peeling paint.  I may leave the old paint on as much as available, for a rustic, "shabby chic" type look. Anyway, except for some masks, (so I don't breath paint dust,) screws, a sand paper block and whatever else--- the ikea thing, this will be a, "free" table.  

Will take photos of table pieces and the process to put it together.  Will send a link when I get them online.

Sterling wants out.  I have an email to write.  I need to be in bed already!  (Months ago. Ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment